Newly Registered Users

ride_4ever
Site Admin

Re: Newly Registered Users

Postby ride_4ever » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 am

rose_malmaison wrote:Thanks for letting me in! I'm more of a reader than a writer in these fandoms.

Welcome!

Annie M
Constable

Postby Annie M » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi, I am Annie M! I am a USAF veteran, jack of several trades, rainbow freedom fighter and now DS fiction writer. I ship the character Meg Thatcher. I was in the service at the same time Meg was in the RCMP. What those women in the RCMP went thru thier countetparts in law enforcement and the armed services did also.

SLWalker
Site Admin

Postby SLWalker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:10 pm

Welcome aboard! XD I'm glad you're here! And yeah, really. >.< You should totally write about your experiences, I'd love to read it.

verushka70
Constable

Postby verushka70 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:55 am

Verushka here. I mostly lurk on DW/LJ, AO3, Tumblr, rarely Twitter. I fic sporadically in dS/c6d. I typically offer to pinch hit for dSSS. I read more than I write, mostly slash, but I'll read/write gen and het too.

I first came to due South on the trail of CKR. He was in a S3 Forever Knight episode: intense, charismatic, and hot. After he burned up the screen in his Forever Knight ep, I read everything I could about him, and learned he was to join dS as a series regular.

At the time I read Forever Knight (FK) slashfic regularly, and some FK slash authors also wrote dS slash. I read a dS Ray/Fraser slash story by one of my favorite FK slash authors (the angsty, beautiful Acharnement at http://archiveofourown.org/works/376809). BAM! It just GUTTED ME. I'd seen photos of Fraser on her site, but I didn't realize she was writing about Ray Vecchio. Online articles about due South said CKR was going to play "Ray." So I pictured CKR as "Ray" in her slash story. (Guh!)

After I read that story, I devoured all the rest of her dS slash, realized there was *another* Ray, and got really confused! By then, S3 had started with CKR and the slash was jumping off the screen to me. Some very kind dS fen sent me dubbed VHS tapes of S1 and S2 dS, so I caught up quickly. But there was no Kowalski-slash in the fandom, because he was a new character, and a lot of fen from the first 2 seasons didn't like him (they wanted Ray Vecchio back). (I won't bore you with the Ray Wars, but they were a thing. I survived, largely thanks to LJ, but it was all very unpleasant.) When there was Kowalski slash back then, he was slashed with Turnbull.

So in that vacuum of Fraser/Kowalski slash, I thought, Fine: I'll write my own Fraser/Kowalski slash fic. Prior to that I'd written only a couple Forever Knight slash stories, and only shared one.

And that's how it all started. :)

I'm also a huge fan of David Cronenberg (Canadian director of flims like Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, eXistenZ, A History of Violence, Eastern Promises). Cronenberg played the manager at the gas company in Don McKellar's film Last Night (where CKR played the adorable, hypersexual Craig).

More dS/c6d trivia: the actor who plays Kiki in Cronenberg's Naked Lunch, Joseph Scorsiani (sometimes listed as Joseph Scoren in other film/TV credits) also played Dr. Carter's young lover in the due South episode Letting Go. (He was also in the movie version of Chicago, which was filmed in Toronto -- he played the heiress Kitty Baxter's/Lucy Liu's philandering husband.)

Joseph Scorsiani unfortunately died of sarcoidosis at age 41 in 2005. :(

TL;DR -- I'm a dS/c6d fan from way, way back... the original broadcast of S3, actually. Here I am, 21 years later, with a pinch hit fic in the most recent dSSS and a smattering of stories spread across AO3 and the dSA. I'm looking forward to the AO3 import of the due South Archive (from Squidge).

\o/

SLWalker
Site Admin

Postby SLWalker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:59 am

That's a heck of a neat history! And I think Acharnement was one of the first fics I read back in like -- 2010? Except, I knew which Ray I was reading. XD It's a classic, that one. Anyway, welcome aboard!

thisisteal
Constable

Postby thisisteal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 pm

HI. I'm terrible at keeping up with most social media besides Tumblr (oh how long has it been, LJ?) but I'm still gonna join because due South /and/ Twin Peaks. And all you lovely people. So hi, it's thisisteal from Tumblr, you can call me Teal for short. I first started watching due South because CKR (because BSG) and have not looked back. I've written a few fics, mostly crack because that's where it's at (I hope I don't get banned for saying the word crack because it's a fandom thing hmmm) I only first saw Twin Peaks last year, and re-watched a couple months ago in preparation for the new season. Thanks for making this forum!!!!

PS RIP Miguel Ferrer
--This is not all that we are--

SLWalker
Site Admin

Postby SLWalker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Hiya Teal! And OMG, I was like hard no when I heard he was gone. :( Like you, I just watched Twin Peaks for the first time last year, but wow, it's due South's cousin in spirit with the magical realism, even though it goes a bit further and darker. Still, I loved it so much. Hey, if you're interested, I'm still hiring for a Twin Peaks mod. Or if you know anyone who might be interested.

thisisteal
Constable

Postby thisisteal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:12 pm

This isn't really the place for a discussion of it, but I wonder if Lynch ever watched due South/Paul Gross & co watched Twin Peaks? I don't think I'd be very good for a mod, unless maybe I end up becoming very active here. I tend to be kinda slack as a mod tbh. PS I didn't get a notification for your reply, do you know how that works?

SLWalker
Site Admin

Postby SLWalker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:56 pm

I think you have to subscribe to the topic. (I'm still learning how to find my way around phpBB3, the last version I used was phpBB1!) And if you wanna chat Twin Peaks, we can do that over in the Twin Peaks forum. XD Because wow, they are cousin shows and I could totally ramble about it.

thisisteal
Constable

Postby thisisteal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Ahh I see, thank you!

Tarcy42
Recruit

Postby Tarcy42 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:43 am

Another lurker here! Been lurking in ds fandom since 2001. I don't write but do comment if a fic really moves me. Wanted to check out the new digs. :)

SLWalker
Site Admin

Postby SLWalker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:53 am

Heya! Welcome to said new digs. XD Hope they're up to snuff!

neu
Recruit

Postby neu » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi! Thanks for letting me in :-)
I'm neu111 on tumblr and LJ, neu on dreamwidth. I used to be semi (!) active in the due South / C6D fandom some time ago. I'm still a co-moderator for the ckr_files on LJ and dreamwidth. RL and too much interests and laziness got the better of my activity but I still retain a great fondness for the fandom. Oh, and I'm also a big fan of Twin Peaks so that seems a good place to be :-)

SLWalker
Site Admin

Postby SLWalker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Hiya! Welcome aboard! We are definitely a place for both shows and more besides, and it's nice to see someone else who runs a community or two hanging around.

neu
Recruit

Postby neu » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Thank you kindly :-)

malnpudl
Recruit

Postby malnpudl » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello, fellow fen. Mal here. I still live and breathe, though for some time I have been mostly lurking. Hi. :-)

SLWalker
Site Admin

Postby SLWalker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Hey you! Welcome aboard! XD Lurking's fine, it's good to see you.

DesireeArmfeldt
Constable

Postby DesireeArmfeldt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 pm

malnpudl wrote:Hello, fellow fen. Mal here. I still live and breathe, though for some time I have been mostly lurking. Hi. :-)

*waves hello* Good to see you! :)

AuKestrel
Recruit

Postby AuKestrel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi, it's AuKestrel. I heard about this forum from ride_4ever at Escapade and I was totally excited. I've often thought that this kind of format could work well for fandom - the gap between mailing list conversations and LJ/DW looms wide in my mind. So thank you for all your work on setting this up and maintaining it. I'm poking around here and there and enjoying it immensely.

Over the Christmas break, my daughter and I rewatched due South. I also have gotten a student worker of mine into C6D and, finally, dS (I started him on Slings & Arrows and then moved him onto Twitch City before zeroing in on Buried on Sunday and HCL... he has copies of MLAAD, but he hasn't had a chance to watch them yet, but he DID mainline all of dS over winter break as well). Anyway - it's held up remarkably well and was just as wonderful as I remembered it.

SLWalker
Site Admin

Postby SLWalker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:15 am

It really has. Also, hi! It's wonderful to see you. ^^;

Return to “News & Announcements”